PROJECT MANAGER – Volunteer Engagement Program
Closing Date: October 16, 2017
Project Name: Volunteer Engagement Program
Ecojustice uses the power of the law to defend nature, combat climate change, and fight for a healthy environment for all.
Ecojustice wants to build their organization’s capacity by engaging skilled volunteers to assist with delivering their mission. They are seeking the support of a project manager to lead the development of a program that will identify strategic opportunities for volunteers to take on tasks that will increase public support for Ecojustice and increase their operational efficiency and test it through a pilot project within the Philanthropy Department. The development of the program shall not only identify the areas and tasks that skilled volunteers could be contribute to, but will also develop the role descriptions, identify channels for volunteer recruitment, ensure that the current workforce and operations can support the proposed volunteer program, so that they and the volunteers will work effectively together. As Ecojustice is a unionized workplace, special attention to the development of the program will need to be given to ensure that volunteers are not recruited to perform work which should be done by members of the bargaining unit.
Ecojustice is currently looking for a skilled and professional project manager volunteer to join their team.
- Have clearly defined volunteer roles and responsibilities that will increase Ecojustice’s capacity
- Have a volunteer recruitment strategy that will engage skilled volunteers in Ecojustice’s work
- Have a retention strategy to ensure that volunteers work with the organization for the length of their volunteer agreement
- Identify any training or operational requirements that Ecojustice would need to address to work effectively with volunteers
- Pilot the program within the Philanthropy Department and evaluate the program to identify and required changes and/or improvements
- Project Manager Experience in a nonprofit organization will be an asset.
- Good communication skills.
- Experience working with unionized workplaces will be an asset.
Estimated Time Commitment:
- The volunteer hours commitment expected from the PM-volunteer is 4 hours per week.
- Most of the communication with the team can be done after hours via phone or a web call.
- It is preferred that the PM – volunteer be available to have a face to face discussion with the Ecojustice team for an hour or 2 per week.
Start Date: November 13 2017
Expected Completion Date: May 11 2018
Scope of Work:
The volunteer project manager will work with Huda Al-Saedy (Director of Philanthropy), Emma Billard (HR & Volunteer Coordinator) and other staff members to collect inputs and ideas for the volunteers engagement program. S/he will lead the team in generating the plan for the program and support the execution of a pilot.
- Program Plan, describing the proposed approach and all the tasks required to prepare for and implement the program; description of the pilot program
- Operations and Training Plan for staff
- Recruitment and Retention Plan
- Plan to introduce new volunteers to the staff and organization, and to monitor their performance.
- Evaluation of the pilot and recommendations for improving the program
Accountability: The PM volunteer will have end-end accountability on project deliverables, reporting to Huda Al-Saedy
Benefits: Ecojustice will provide a letter of recommendation to the PM volunteer at the successful conclusion of the project, and serve as a reference if appropriate.
How to Apply:
Please apply with a cover letter indicating why you are interested in supporting Ecojustice on this project and why you feel your skill set and experience would make you a good match for this project, along with a detailed resume to:
Emma Billard, HR & Volunteer Coordinator, Ecojustice
Phone: 604-685-5618 ext 231
Please copy your application package to Project Management Volunteers c/o:
Sweda Noorani, PM-Volunteers Client Relationship Manager
Deadline for Applications: October 16 2017
NOTE: We may consider a team approach of a senior/junior project manager. We encourage junior project managers who are interested in acquiring experience to apply. Any such arrangement will be contingent on agreement by the client and the applicants.