Society Promoting Environmental Conservation (SPEC) 2019 – Event Planning / Implementation
Organisation: Society Promoting Environmental Conservation
Location: Vancouver, BC
Closing Date: February 15, 2019
Volunteer Project Manager: Society Promoting Environmental Conservation (SPEC) 2019 – Event Planning / Implementation
The Society Promoting Environmental Conservation (SPEC) is a non-profit, charitable and volunteer-driven organization, founded in 1969. SPEC is the oldest environmental non-profit in Canada. Through SPEC’s open education and outreach programs SPEC is able to provide our communities with the tools to build greener cities together. SPEC works with citizens, industries and government agencies, putting their brains together to create a healthy environment.
To plan, manage and successfully execute the Society Promoting Environmental Conservation (SPEC)’s 50th birthday Sustainability Fair in late Summer 2019 in Vancouver, B.C. The event will be organized for the public to raise awareness about local sustainability and climate change action.
- To organize a successful 50th birthday celebration for SPEC. (Successful = happy participants!)
- To coordinate with sponsors, potential fund providers and permit providers.
- To plan for sustainability related workshops during the event.
- Solid project management experience;
- Experience with event planning and implementation;
- Background working with not-for-profit organizations, including experience managing teams of volunteers; and
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
Estimated Time Commitment: approximately 5 hours per week, with an estimate of 100 hours overall.
Expected Start Date: March 1 2019
Expected End Date: October 1 2019
Scope of Work: The volunteer PM will be responsible for planning, coordinating and implementing the event. Main tasks will include identifying and advising on required resources, coordinating sponsorship and communications strategies, establishing a logistics plan, and leading/monitoring the teams throughout the planning and implementation phases. The PM will work closely with SPEC staff and volunteers in the planning and implementation of the event.
- A Project Plan including a detailed event implementation plan, marketing and communications plan, sponsorship plan and identification of key milestones;
- Ensuring milestones are met including the development of mitigation plans to address potential delays;
- Performance evaluation of the event;
- A Final Report closing out the project from a scope, cost and time perspective;
- File (digital or paper) containing all the key information on how to organize this event (for future years); and
- A lessons learned session within 2 weeks following the event.
Accountability: The volunteer PM will have end-to-end accountability for all the deliverables. The Volunteer PM will report to Oliver Lane, Executive Director, SPEC.
- SPEC will provide a letter of recommendation at the successful conclusion of the project, and serve as a reference if appropriate.
Contact: Society Promoting Environmental Conservation
2305 West 7th Ave
Vancouver, BC V6K 1Y4
Oliver Lane, Executive Director
How to Apply: Please apply with a cover letter indicating why you are interested in engaging with the Society Promoting Environmental Conservation (SPEC) and why you feel your skills set and experience would make you a good match for this project, along with a detailed resume to Oliver Lane, with copy to Sweda Noorani at PMV (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Note only applications with both a cover letter AND a resume will be considered.
- Please indicate your current location on the cover letter.
NOTE: We are very interested in staffing this volunteer PM position with two people: A more senior PM, supported by a junior PM. This will depend on the suitability of the applicants, the interest and agreement by the more senior PM to such an arrangement and the decision of the client.
Deadline for Applications: Feb 15, 2019