New Community Centre – Schematic Design
POSITION DESCRIPTION – VOLUNTEER PROJECT MANAGER
North Park Neighbourhood Association (Victoria)
September 24 2021
The Vision for the North Park Neighbourhood is to be a welcoming and vibrant community that is;
– inclusive of all people regardless of age, income, culture, or religion
– cohesive and sensitive to the needs of everyone living and working in the neighbourhood
– beautiful and healthy with an emphasis on heritage, well planned and sustainable growth, – recreation, pedestrian traffic and open and green spaces
– safe and inviting with opportunities for socialising and focal points for community members to gather
– Economically vibrant working in harmony with its commercial and adjacent community partners.
We are guided by the following principles:
– Dignity and Respect
– Equity and Fairness
– Fair, Accountable, Non-partisan, and Non-sectarian
– Committed to staying informed
The City of Victoria will be building a new community center in the area served by the North Park Neighbourhood Association and the Downtown Residents Association. This will be a multi-year project, managed by paid professionals at the City of Victoria.
The two associations are looking for project management support through the Schematic Design phase, which has just started and is planned to conclude at the end of this year. Their goal is to define and decide on the functional programming for the new community center, a key input to the Schematic Design, and get it included in the Schematic Design. The functional programming will drive the space requirements. It provides a reference for evaluating the design through all phases of the project.
The community associations would also like to develop a high level business plan, including financial modeling, as this will help to provide an understanding, at this early stage, of how the community centre will function financially.
- Define and document functional programming for the new community center (what services and programs will best serve the users).
- Develop persuasive presentation materials to effectively communicate the associations’ vision for the community center to the project decision makers.
- Get the functional programming concepts accepted and embedded in the Functional Design.
- Understand the project stakeholders and develop a stakeholder management plan to achieve good communication between the stakeholders and the two associations.
- Min. 5 years practical project management experience
- Experience in larger facilities development projects would be an asset
- Experience in being effective within a multifaceted project team would be an asset
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders to achieve project objectives would be an asset
- Excellent written and oral communication
Estimated Time Commitment
Start Date: October 04 2021
End Date: December 31 2021
Scope of Work
The volunteer project manager will be responsible for:
The volunteer PM will start by assessing 1) the project configuration: what are the key constraints, what decisions have already been made, what are the objectives of the main stakeholders, etc., and 2) how to best define the functional programming within the project timeline constraints.
S/he will work with the two leaders of the associations to define and decide on the functional programming for the new community center and endeavour to get these concepts accepted and embedded in the Concept Design.
Project Plan for developing that functional programming
Leadership during the execution of the project
Documentation and presentations during the Schematic Design phase, as required
Stakeholder Management Plan
High level business plan and financial modeling
The PM volunteer will have end-end accountability on project deliverables, reporting to Sarah Sarah Murray,
The North Park Neighbourhood Association and Downtown Residents Association will provide a letter of recommendation to the volunteer project manager at the successful conclusion of the project, and serve as a reference if appropriate.
- We may proceed with interviewing and engaging applicants before the application deadline.
- We may consider a team approach of a senior/junior project manager. We encourage junior project managers who are interested in acquiring experience to apply. Any such arrangement will be contingent on agreement by the client and the applicants.
How to Apply
Please use the form below to apply with a cover letter indicating why you are interested in supporting this project and why you feel your skill set and experience would make you a good match for this project, along with a detailed resume